Wednesday, March 28, 2012

one configuration file across multiple packages.

Hi,

At just the point at which I was going to write some verbose schpeel, I found this, which really does it all for me:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1163727&SiteID=1&mode=1

Basically it seems that whilst you can indeed share a config file, it doesn't aggregate sets of say different connection managers, into a superset - you choose to reuse, but it actually overwrites. Any ideas, anyone?

Just edit the Config file to add manually the second configuration. Notice that by doing so you may receive warnings when executing the package as some configurations in the file do not exist in the package using the file. My advice is to use separate configuration files.

|||

'...My advice is to use separate configuration files...'

In the circumstances Rafael, I think this is the best advice. I must say I find it disappointing that one can only share config files in this half-baked way. It would be much better to have one config file shared across 2 packages for say connection managers A,B,C,D,E, where package 1 used connection managers A,B,C, and package 2 used C,D,E.

Maybe that's something for Microsoft to think about...

Thanks for your input Rafael,

Tamim.

|||

BTW,

SQL Server table based configurations behaves more on the way you want. You can have a single table with a row per each configuration value...no warnings if only some are used within the package.

No comments:

Post a Comment