Monday, February 20, 2012

Old Users / New Domain - Any way to directly update SYSXLOGINS

FIRST - I already know I it is not recommended to directly update systems
tables - no need to remind me. That being said, here is the scenario. I
have a bunch of users who are switching from one domain to another. EXAMPLE
login -
myco.us.east\joe should NOW be myco.us.west\joe
So, is there any easy way to just change the LOGIN name. I know that
SYSLOGINS is a view and that SYSXLOGINS is the root table. Problem is that
NAME in SYSXLOGINS doesnt seem to reflect the login name, rather the user
name. It would be great is I could just change the login name via SQL - Any
ideas on this' Exactly what columns and where?What is the version of SQL Server?
Take a look at sp_change_users_login in the BOL
"MSSQLServerDeveloper" <MSSQLServerDeveloper@.discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:CC69F7B5-2B63-4C12-AF93-D883BB692B28@.microsoft.com...
> FIRST - I already know I it is not recommended to directly update systems
> tables - no need to remind me. That being said, here is the scenario. I
> have a bunch of users who are switching from one domain to another.
> EXAMPLE
> login -
> myco.us.east\joe should NOW be myco.us.west\joe
> So, is there any easy way to just change the LOGIN name. I know that
> SYSLOGINS is a view and that SYSXLOGINS is the root table. Problem is
> that
> NAME in SYSXLOGINS doesnt seem to reflect the login name, rather the user
> name. It would be great is I could just change the login name via SQL -
> Any
> ideas on this' Exactly what columns and where?|||hi,
i feel it will not do what you want. Could you do it from EM ?
Regards
--
Andy Davis
Activecrypt Team
---
SQL Server Encryption Software
http://www.activecrypt.com
"MSSQLServerDeveloper" wrote:

> FIRST - I already know I it is not recommended to directly update systems
> tables - no need to remind me. That being said, here is the scenario. I
> have a bunch of users who are switching from one domain to another. EXAMP
LE
> login -
> myco.us.east\joe should NOW be myco.us.west\joe
> So, is there any easy way to just change the LOGIN name. I know that
> SYSLOGINS is a view and that SYSXLOGINS is the root table. Problem is tha
t
> NAME in SYSXLOGINS doesnt seem to reflect the login name, rather the user
> name. It would be great is I could just change the login name via SQL - A
ny
> ideas on this' Exactly what columns and where?|||Hi,
FYI - The undocumented sysxlogins table doesn't exist in SQL 2005. The
syslogins view is preserved for backwards compatibility, but it's
deprecated.
Unfortunately, I think you will need to drop and recreate the logins.
I think it should be reasonably straightforward to generate the code to
do that. Since you have NT authenticated users, you won't have to
worry about passwords, which simplifies the task somewhat.
Good luck.
Regards,
Clifford Dibble [MSFT]
Andy Davis wrote:[vbcol=seagreen]
> hi,
> i feel it will not do what you want. Could you do it from EM ?
>
> Regards
> --
> Andy Davis
> Activecrypt Team
> ---
> SQL Server Encryption Software
> http://www.activecrypt.com
>
> "MSSQLServerDeveloper" wrote:
>

No comments:

Post a Comment