Monday, February 20, 2012

Old Backups not being deleted

We are having a consistent problem here with the archived backups not being
deleted like is defined in the maintenance plans.
We have the maintenance plan set to backup all user databases and keep the
past 7 days worth. But after the 7th day it is NOT deleting the older
backups. So the first time we found this out was when the server ran out of
disk space and we found a full months worth of backups in the SQL Server
backup directory!
Any idea why this is happen and how to fix it so that maint plan works as
its being told to work?
Thanks,
John Gundrum> Any idea why this is happen and how to fix it so that maint plan works as
> its being told to work?
I had maintenance plans set up to delete backups more than two days old, and
it was leaving 4 or 5 days, depending on if it was over the weekend or not.
I've heard many reports of maintenance plans having similarly weird
behavior.
Instead of trying to investigate and fix the nonsense, I wrote a standalone
app that deleted backups older than 2 days.|||Take a look at:
BUG: Expired Transaction Log Backups May Not Be Deleted by Maintenance Plan
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...2&Product=sql2k
"I saw it work in a cartoon once so I am pretty sure I can do it."
"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" wrote:

> I had maintenance plans set up to delete backups more than two days old, a
nd
> it was leaving 4 or 5 days, depending on if it was over the weekend or not
.
> I've heard many reports of maintenance plans having similarly weird
> behavior.
> Instead of trying to investigate and fix the nonsense, I wrote a standalon
e
> app that deleted backups older than 2 days.
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment