Monday, February 20, 2012

old sql2k5 folder

I have remove the existing sql 2k5server db by "remove/add program" and the
install a new sql2k5 in another folder. Now I tried to remove the old MS SQL
server folder and within. But it gives me an error saying it is in used ...
and therefore I cannot remove it. Can anyone please advise me how to remove
this folder? I thought the old folder is not used by any program after I
re-install a new ms sql server. Please help. Thanks.Hi,
have a look in the registry and search for the absolute path of the old
installation. There might be some logs which be flushed to the old
location.
HTH, Jens K. Suessmeyer.
http://www.sqlserver2005.de
--|||Can anyone please help? Thanks
"00MichaelJordan" <MJ@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ObrvrOfOHHA.4940@.TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>I have remove the existing sql 2k5server db by "remove/add program" and the
>install a new sql2k5 in another folder. Now I tried to remove the old MS
>SQL server folder and within. But it gives me an error saying it is in used
>... and therefore I cannot remove it. Can anyone please advise me how to
>remove this folder? I thought the old folder is not used by any program
>after I re-install a new ms sql server. Please help. Thanks.
>|||You need to see what process still has this folder open. When I'm
*desperate* I use this program:
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
It will tell you what's using the file and will let you "force" it
closed, allowing you to delete it. Hopefully SQL Server will not be
using it. Try not to force-delete these things. See what program is
using the file first, shut it down, then delete the file. Just be
careful not to hose your SQL Server installation ;-)
-Dave Markle
http://www.markleconsulting.com/blog
00MichaelJordan wrote:
> I have remove the existing sql 2k5server db by "remove/add program" and th
e
> install a new sql2k5 in another folder. Now I tried to remove the old MS S
QL
> server folder and within. But it gives me an error saying it is in used ..
.
> and therefore I cannot remove it. Can anyone please advise me how to remo
ve
> this folder? I thought the old folder is not used by any program after I
> re-install a new ms sql server. Please help. Thanks.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment